The founders of the United Church of Canada believed that ours is a living faith, a faith that is expressed not only in ministry, but also in mission in and with the world. We work together with other Christian churches whenever possible, and among people of other religions in Canada and throughout the world, on matters of social justice, peace, and human dignity.
Ralph Connor is a living example of this in action including all generations. Living in a community of diversity and demographics that support these beliefs, Ralph Connor United reaches out to grass roots in our congregation, our Canmore community, nationally and internationally in a way only unique to Canmore. Canmore is well known for its ecumenical Christian work collaboratively. We are proud to lead and be part of that leadership.
RALPH CONNOR MEMORIAL UNITED CHURCH’S MISSION AS A CHURCH COMMUNITY IS:
- to nurture the spiritual exploration and growth of all our members and adherents;
- to be an intentionally inviting Christian community that seeks, welcomes and embraces new members;
- to reach out and become an agent for social justice in our neighbourhood and in the global community.
Many of the ways we attempt to live out the “outreach” aspects of this mission are detailed elsewhere on this site, and include:
- Community Food and Friends night
- Bow Valley Syria Refugee Project – http://bowvalleysyria.ca/
- Canmore Young Adult Network – http://cyancanmore.ca/
- Affirming Ministries
- Bow Valley Pride Youth Group
- Living into Right Relations with First Nations
- Benevolent Offering – received on communion Sundays
To find out the most recent “urgent action” items being dealt with by the United Church on a regional, national or international level, including letter-writing campaigns for people in various types of danger, see: http://www.united-church.ca/social-action
Areas of focus include:
- Climate change
- First Nations relationships
- Human Rights
- Economic Justice
In addition, Foothills Presbytery of the United Church of Canada has a well-maintained “Strong Public Witness” webpage.
We also have our own Facebook page where much Social Justice information is posted!