IN RESPONSE to Racism – in memory of George Floyd and others who have died because of the colour of their skin – two local vigils have been organized, June 5, 1:00 PM in Canmore’s Riverside Park and June 6, 12:00m noon in Banff’s Central Park.
Details are here: https://www.rmotoday.com/canmore/black-lives-matter-vigils-planned-for-canmore-banff-2409535
PIE DAY 2020 – postponed indefinitely
In light of recent health protocols, the PIE Day event on March 14 (a day to be Public, Intentional and Explicit in our mission of inclusion – and specifically supportive of the LGBTQ2 population in the Bow Valley) has been postponed indefinitely. We thank Aurora Borin, who was to be our guest speaker, for her willingness to join us for this event and hope we can reschedule sometime in the future.
OUR MINISTRY OF INCLUSION:
In the same way that Jesus reached out to and welcomed all people, our faith community is called to be open and inclusive.
We continue to seek ways to be inclusive of all people of the Bow Valley, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, age, cultural background, education level, mobility challenges… ALL people!
To this end, after a two-year “Affirming Process,” Ralph Connor Memorial United Church celebrated its new designation as an Affirming Ministry on October 27, 2019!After the service, the congregation made a “human rainbow chain” around the Church, using the 125-foot rainbow banner generously loaned to us by the Calgary Unitarians!
At the congregational meeting on Sunday, September 15, 2019, 96% of those who voted were in favour of RCMUC’s becoming an Affirming Ministry and an Affirming Vision and Affirming Plan were also approved. To read these, please scroll down to the bottom of the page. In addition, a recap of some of the key events and actions of our 2017-2019 Affirming process, is detailed here.
The first broader action we were asked to undertake as an Affirming Ministry was a letter-writing campaign on October 20, 2019 regarding the changed process for trans Albertans seeking ‘top surgery’. The letter may be downloaded here .
RCMUC’s Affirming process of study and action began with a specific focus on inclusiveness related to the LGBTQ2 community, and touches all other aspects of inclusion and inclusiveness. To become an Affirming Ministry, is to be public, intentional, explicit and accountable in our desire for inclusive community. One step taken in 2016, was to perform our first same-sex wedding, and in 2019 our Council adopted the following Inclusive Marriage Policy: At Ralph Connor Memorial United Church, we celebrate God’s gift of the human diversity of sexual orientations, gender identities and gender expressions. We welcome all couples equally who come to us seeking to be married.
One major focus of our quest to embrace inclusion, is to strive to “live into right relations” with our First Nations sisters and brothers. We respect the apologies offered by the United Church of Canada to the Indigenous peoples of this land, and have held a number of workshops to help us take seriously the Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC). We acknowledge that each time we gather, we do so on the traditional lands of the Stoney Nakoda and other signatories of Treaty 7, and celebrate the relationships that are growing as we seek reconciliation and friendship.
AFFIRMING VISION STATEMENT of RALPH CONNOR MEMORIAL UNITED CHURCH, CANMORE – a community of faith on the traditional lands of the Stoney Nakoda First Peoples:
We affirm Christ’s love and desire for justice, inclusion, and affirmation for all, and Christ’s identification with those who have been marginalized.
- We strive to be a community of faith in which all persons are fully included in all aspects of our life and work. We strive to publicly and explicitly welcome, care for, and learn from all persons, regardless of ethnicity, gender, age, ability, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, social or economic circumstance.
We affirm the present RCMUC Mission Statement, which shapes the choices and priorities of this community of faith:
- “Ralph Connor Memorial United Church’s Mission as a Church Community is:
- to nurture the spiritual exploration and growth of all our members and adherents;
- to be an intentionally inviting Christian community that seeks, welcomes and embraces new members;
- to reach out and become an agent for social justice in our neighbourhood and in the global community”.
We affirm our need to connect and align with other communities, within and beyond our faith tradition, who desire to actively work for inclusion and justice.
- We will continue to engage in study, education and dialogue through workshops, advocacy, events and broader partnerships as we continue our journey.
We understand that these commitments are essential for a thriving, healthy Affirming Ministry.
AFFIRMING MINISTRY PLAN of Ralph Connor Memorial United Church
In addition to the many Outreach initiatives already supported by RCMUC,
- WE COMMIT TO THESE ACTIONS WITHIN THE CONGREGATION:
- Put up Affirm signage in and around our church (in addition to the current rainbow flags).
- Make PIE Day an annual event, a time for learning, support & encouragement of LGBTQ2+ persons/issues.
- Host the “Screenings with Meanings” film series again next summer.
- Work toward full accessibility of our Church facility.
- Continue to have exposure to/learn from marginalized people who can help educate us through speakers, weekend workshops, Affirming Moments, worship leaders.
- Throw an Affirm celebration party after our vote and mark this with an annual Affirming Anniversary celebration.
- Participate in pride parades, and in the local Canada Day parade.
- Continue to participate in the Affirm Calgary group.
- Make funding available for participation in workshops and conferences promoting community enrichment and inclusion, e.g. the national Affirm gathering.
- Remain open to new ideas, and be ready to respond to local needs.
- Request that the RCMUC Council make the following structural changes:
- Disband the present Affirming Ministry Working Group, which had the task of guiding the initial period of study leading to the congregational vote, and establish a new Affirming Ministry Committee tasked with guiding and enabling our continuing journey as an Affirming Congregation; and
- Establish a “Community Enrichment and Inclusion” working group (with budget, starting in 2020) to nurture RCMUC’s capacity to reach beyond our own boundaries in ways that are in keeping with our Mission Statement and Affirming Vision Statement.
2.WE COMMIT TO ENGAGE THE COMMUNITY AROUND US IN THESE WAYS:
- Encourage the Town of Canmore rainbow crosswalk initiative, preferably near RCMUC.
- “Stir the pot” in Canmore, by
- engaging with other organizations to get a better sense of how marginalized peoples are managed/treated/supported;
- becoming a “hub” in our community for engagement;
- reaching out to other Bow Valley social action organizations.
- Build connections with the Two-Spirit First Nation community in the Bow Valley.
- Work with the Gay-Straight Alliances at local schools in an effort to bring them together.
- Encourage the establishment of a PFLAG Canada chapter in the Bow Valley (originally known as “Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays,” now just “FLAG Canada”).
- Explore worship possibilities with groups presently under-represented in our community of faith.
- Communicate with Rundle Memorial UC, Banff, as they consider the Affirming process.
- Explore the appetite in communities of faith in Chinook Winds Region for a Social Justice network that would include a commitment to justice for LGBTQ2+ persons and communities, among others, and work with others who are willing to nurture such a network into a relevant and effective body.
- Support community initiatives focusing on inclusivity.
-end- (updated 17 September 2019)
Please check out what’s happening on our Affirm Calendar of EventsCLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
If you have experienced any previous barriers to your participation in Church life,
please contact us so we can discuss ways that we can “open the doors” at Ralph Connor!!