Indigenous Perspective in New Alberta Curriculum: Alberta Education has recently released the draft of a new curriculum for Kindergarten to Grade 6. This curriculum is in direct violation of a promise the Alberta Government made on March 27, 2014, at the Truth and Reconciliation Commission event in Edmonton. That promise included Indigenous Curriculum in all grades including teacher training and materials.
Individuals who support this promise must contact the Alberta Government. It is through age appropriate curriculum that students are given the tools and knowledge to understand our collective history and current identity. Eight School Boards (and counting) have refused to pilot the new curriculum.
- Alberta K-6 draft curriculum: webpage and survey (note: the survey requires very specific feedback on particular subjects & grades)
- The “Calls to Action” of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission are posted here.
- The “Albertans Reject Curriculum Draft” Facebook page has subject-by-subject scope-and-sequence: click here.
- The Metis Nation of Alberta has made a formal response to the draft curriculum. Read more here.
- A response from three instructors in the U of Calgary Werklund School of Education.
- NEW ON MAY 25th: for a thorough review by curriculum developer Kim Siever, click here.
For further information, contact Mary Shearer firstname.lastname@example.org